Sunday, February 10, 2013

Math Time and Goal Setting

When our kids finish with their math lesson for the day, I send them to the math practice box. They have all written a math goal such as pass my timings, tell time better, learn fact families, or be faster at counting money. With this box, I don't have to stay on top of making packets and the kids can work on exactly what they need. It's great for those odd 10-15 minutes of nothing planned that pop up every now and then too. Since this photo, we have also added laminated copies of the math timings they do so they can practice just those facts without having to pull out all the flashcards.

Our goal board is where one reading group takes place, and the kids eat lunch. So everyday they have the opportunity to reread their goal. As some of them are getting closer to their goals, they are adding sticky notes showing progress. For instance, one girl wants to finish all her addition timings, so now that she passed the next one, she has a note showing it. My co-teacher and I wrote goals too so the kids could see what we wanted to improve upon. Every time they see me writing a lesson plan they ask what day it is for because I said I wanted to be prepared 2 days ahead of time. Then they congratulate me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment